Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Progeria

The Progeria Research Foundation


Well, with Blogging Bliss coming to an end with in the week, I thought I'd take the time to talk about the charity I chose and why!

Well, as you can see the charity I choose was The Progeria Research Foundation! It is a foundation near & dear to my heart. I first heard of progeria when I was about 12-13 years old. It was summer break and I was watching Murry, and one of the guests was a child suffering from progeria. Ever since then it's been a big part of my life! I donate when I can. And my dream is to one day open a camp for the families suffering from progeria to come and just be a normal family! If even for a week!



Progeria is defined as "a rare, fatal genetic condition characterized by an appearance of accelerated aging in children." Basically it causes children to grow at a much faster rate, about times faster to be exact! And unlike in the movie "Jack" where he looks like a normal grown man. They look like old children! They suffer from problems that most people don't experience until their 50's normally. This includes baldness, arthritis and heart problems, yet they have the mind of a child. Sicking isn't it. Most die from heart issues at about 13. Some pass before that, the oldest known passed at 16!

GO HERE TO MEET THE KIDS











No comments:

Post a Comment